The challenge is to build a stable chair of cardboard with a few cutting tools in the short space of three hours. The competition aims to reinforce and innovative skills, using tried and tested design principles. Judging criteria will include strength, structural integrity, creativity and comfort. Participants are encouraged to do their homework on how to build with cardboard. The Internet is a good source of information on the subject.
During the afternoons the competition will take place from 13:00 to 16:00 at :
• 3 August: Blanco Community Hall
• 4 August: St Mary’s Primary School, Rosemoor
• 5 August: Thusong Service Centre (Thembalethu)
• 6 August: Pacaltsdorp Laerskool
• 7 August: George Suid Laerskool
The final prize-giving will take place on Friday 7 August at 17:00 at George Suid Laerskool.
The competition will be open to the public who will be allowed to interact with the participants, provide encouragement and criticism and physically test the chairs for strength and comfort.
1st prize: Wood-technology tools worth R3 000.00 (Dept Science & Technology) and an internship worth R7 500.00 (Meyer & Von Wielligh)
2nd prize: Wood-technology tools worth R2 000.00 (Dept Science & Technology) and a voucher worth R3 000.00 (Kloppers),
3rd prize: Wood-technology tools worth R1 000.00 (Dept Science & Technology)
Two lucky draw prizes: Yellowwood coffee tables (Touw Meubels)
Every participant cannot win a prize but will learn how to build a stylish piece of furniture from recyclable materials.
• Only one entry per person is allowed
• No plans, measurements or cheat notes are allowed
• Cutting tools and cardboard will be supplied
• The tools must be returned to the organisers
• Time allowed: Three hours from 13:00 to 16:00
• Three finalists will be announced at each venue and entered into the final round
• The final round will be judged at 17:00 at George Suid Laerskool
• The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into